Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Knitting Plans

So I've got a few things I want to knit that are in the knit-making.

J. asked me to knit her a cowl. It's basically the one I made for Boyfriend with shorter ribbing and ribbing on both sides. The pattern is quite easy, except she wants it in bulky yarn. Bulky yarn knits quickly, but she wants a huge cowl, with a thirty centimeter diameter, forty centimeters long at least. If you want that in any yarn that's suitable for adults in my head, you're looking at a minimum of forty euro's worth of merino or alpaca. Provided you can find a yarn store with humane prices. This may shoot up to one hundred. She said she'll find the yarn. So, yeah, we'll see.

Then there's talk about somewhere in the studio, there being yarn J. doesn't want anymore. The general consensus is that it's pink. I'm thinking of knitting S. a butterfly beret with it. Unless I get all impatient and knit it from the multicolored Bravo yarn I have lying around for testing purposes. The pattern is interesting, yo.

Boyfriend wants a beard hat. I found a pattern that looks good, is fairly simple and might even be customisable should it turn out to look like crap. All I have to do is find yarn. Aran to bulky weight. No idea what color yet.

I also want to knit J. a hat, because she told me that, if I were to knit her something, she'd want something either in dark earth tones or grey, that is a bit more suitable for her age (by which she means: no antennae, no fins, no tails, no cat ears) and I wanna prove I can do it. I'm still looking for patterns and don't have any yarn in mind.

So yeah... A trip to the fabled yarn store a few towns over might be in order. I want to see their prices. I want to be inspired. I want to come home with so much loot I can roll around in all the colors of Bravo and several skeins of delicious superwash merino.

Oh, and the boxes my mom brought included a truckload of fuzzy blue acrylic yarn which I've never owned. Apparently, an old kindergarten teacher of my brother got wind of my knitting and sent a carload of things. Most of them are knitting books in Dutch, which would be nice, were it not for the internet having things like knittinghelp.com, knitty.com, ravelry.com and youtube.com. And then there's the fact that knitting patterns and explanations in any other language than English confuse the pee out of me. I've tried it, but it's all gobbledygook. And there's no modern, nice knitting books being translated into Dutch as far as I know. No wonder so many of my Flemish friends don't see eye to eye to me where knitting's involved.

Also in the boxes were my fabled number fifteens.

The blue yarn is going to become a fuzzy, fuzzy scarf, I think. I might even make Boyfriend knit it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment