Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Shoes

I've decided not to do the Wrimo. Aww, sadness.

Instead, I spent the entirety of last night looking at shoes. That is not a happy thing for me. It's mostly a reminder that nothing fits and I can afford nothing that might, either. So I went to Birkenstock and its related daughter companies. They all have good arch support, if nothing else. Which inevitably led me to the Footprints website.

Footprints is Birkenstock's actual shoe brand. It's quality shoes: not too tight, good support at the ankle, arches, no insane heels, good materials. What's even more fun is that, for all the quality, there's options with a wide or a narrow footbed for under one hundred euros.

So I spent a few hours dreaming online until I stumbled over the model 'Riga'. It's no longer in the collection, but several stores still have enough of them left to have them in what I think is my size. For about a third of the price, I kid you not.

So there I was, with a shoe that looked my age, available in a range of colors and it might fit. For less than forty euros. I literally own flipflops with a higher price tag.

So I agonised over it for a while and ordered myself a pair of light green, leather sneakers. If they don't fit, I can return them. If they do fit, I will be beside myself with happiness.

On top of that, I'm currently trying out the treadmill desk idea. I put my laptop on a cupboard in the hall that's the right height, turned on the treadmill at the lowest setting and started walking.

It works, except I'm sweating like mad, and my pc is about twenty centimeters too far away from me to not bump into the start of the treadmill every so often. Typing is tricky, like I've gotten a new keyboard or something. They say you gotta keep it up for a week before it stops feeling like madness. I'll see if I can keep this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment